How do you detox your body to lose weight?
According to Trifecta Nutrition, the main keys to a successful detox of your body, which usually results in some weight loss, are to:
- Get your doctor’s approval. As with any dietary change, run it by your doctor to get his or her okay before you start to make sure it’s safe for your health.
- Control your calories. You must take in fewer calories than what you normally eat if you want to shed pounds. Generally, the healthy ingredients of these detox smoothies tend to make them lower in calories than what you probably eat on the regular, but if you find that you are not losing weight, then you may want to check on your portions. We're not saying you have to do strict calorie counts, but you need to make sure you're actually putting less calories into your body.
- Choose best quality foods. Fresh, organic fruits and vegetables are favored over more processed forms of prepared food like canned. Frozen fruits are fine, since they are manipulated very little and flash frozen at the peak of their nutritional value.
- Stay away from processed foods. Refined sugars are not doing your body any favors. Foods like white bread and white rice are heavily stripped and not as healthy for you as whole grain products.
- Exercise. Physical activity triggers your metabolism and keeps your body agile and energetic.
- Relax. Get plenty of rest. Sleep and less stress are very complementary to a healthy diet. Give your body the tools and time it needs to repair and rejuvenate itself.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water not only keeps you feeling fuller longer, your body needs it. After all, you are made up of more than 70% water!
- Adapt this to your situation. Make adjustments that fit your preferences or needs if it'll help you stay on track. If you’re getting tired of a particular ingredient, consider swapping it out for a like kind so you don’t become miserable with the diet. Or if you have friends visiting in the middle of your detox plan, it’s okay to have that one cheat meal and then jump right back into the detox diet without beating yourself up over it. That being said, don’t let this be an excuse to waiver at every opportunity; give it your best effort.
- Make this a lifestyle change. Doing a detox for a few days and jumping right back to your old eating habits is not going to truly help in the long run. Try to ease up on eating the things that are not healthy for you after you’ve completed your detox, incorporating more natural ingredients into your diet. That doesn’t mean you can never have a pizza or dessert again, but try to tip your diet scales towards healthy living by making healthy meals and ingredients the mainstay.
How to make a detox drink?
Most detox smoothies include these components:
- Greens/veggies: kale, spinach, chard, celery, cilantro, carrot
- Fruits: apple, banana, berries, grapefruit, mango, orange, pineapple, watermelon
- Liquid to thin out your drink: almond milk, soymilk, coconut water
- Other healthy additions: lemons, ginger, yogurt, green tea powder, cinnamon, turmeric powder, avocado, spirulina powder, beetroot, rolled oats
For a more filling drink, incorporate some protein and healthy fats such as:
- Protein: hemp seeds, cashews, chia seeds, almonds, frozen peas, tofu, coconut milk, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, almond butter, yogurt
- Healthy fat: walnuts, flaxseed, sesame seeds, avocado, coconut oil